Lemon drizzle cake recipe
This is a British classic and a firm favourite in my family. What is there not to love about this fresh, zesty lemon cake?
Ingredients - cake
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
175g soft margarine/unsalted butter
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 lemon, zest only
Ingredients – topping
75g caster sugar
1 lemon, juice only
Special equipment needed
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC fan (180ºC conventional).
2. Line a 2lb loaf tin or 6inch round tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Mix all the cake ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
4. Pour into lined tin.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin.
6. Mix together the lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl.
7. Insert a skewer into the cake several times.
8. Pour topping over cake while still warm.
9. Leave to cool partially in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can swap lemon for orange or lime for a different citrus-y flavour. As orange is a lot sweeter than lemon, you can reduce the sugar in the topping to taste.
You can add a little something extra to the topping, such as some 1 tbsp elderflower cordial or 1-2 tbsp gin (to taste)